Pizza is one of the favorite meals for kids of any age and it is common to find it as part of your menu on a weekly basis. However, some ingredients that are used to prepare pizza are not very healthy for kids, which make it important for parents to regulate its consumption in the home. If you are a parent that wants to keep your kids happy, then you may need to learn how to make healthy homemade pizzas. The pizzas can include toppings of your choice and your kids can get a chance to help out with its preparation as well.
Although there are many pizza recipes available online, it is important to find one that is healthy and tasty for children. One of the popular recipes for kid friendly pizza is for the potato and bacon homemade pizza. It is a filling pizza with toppings that include Havarti cheese, sliced potatoes and bacon spread all over the meal. If you want to try and make this hearty meal for your children for lunch or as a snack, here is the recipe.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
2 ½ cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of yeast (fast rising)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon oil
4 bacon strips (uncooked)
2 cups of grated havarti cheese
½ pound thinly sliced potatoes
4 sliced scallions
Black pepper and salt
For the pizza dough:
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients namely flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Add a mixture of the water and oil to the flour mixture.
- Pour the contents of the bowl on a floured surface and then knead it for at least two minutes. Leave the dough covered for approximately twenty minutes to allow it to rise.
- After the dough had risen, shape it into round shapes, four in number, and then place them on baking sheets dusted with cornmeal.
For the topping:
- Clean the potatoes thoroughly and slice them into thin slices.
- Cut the bacon into ½ an inch strips
- Slice scallions into preferred sizes
- Punch the pizza dough and pat into a circular shape.
- Spread the topping ingredients evenly so that they cover the whole dough
- Season each piece of dough with pepper as well as salt to taste
- Place the dough in a heated oven (475° F) for about twenty minutes or until the crust turns to golden brown color.
- Cut neatly with a pizza cutter
If you follow this recipe as shown, you will get one of the tastiest pizzas that your kids will love. The pizza topped with bacon and potato slices is definitely going to be a favorite of your kids every time you prepare it. Then again, on days when you have little time to prepare pizza at home you can still order pizza through PayPal and still enjoy a scrumptious meal with your kids.